The Lamorna Society has planned two weekends of events for 2018.
Spring Weekend. April/May- Dedham. Postponed until 2019, when there will be a major exhibition marking the 60th anniversary of the death of Alfred Munnings.
Summer Weekend - 15-17 June- In and around Lamorna, Newlyn & Penzance- Archive Open Day - 'Getting There and Back: transporting goods and people', Penlee House & Gallery - Lamorna Birch Exhibition and David Tovey Talk.
AGM Weekend. 28-30 September - events to be decided.
Archive Open Days 2018.
The Open Days are held at Trinity Centre, Chywoone Hill, Newlyn, in the main hall where there is an exhibition and other material to review related to the theme of the exhibition.
Saturday 24 March 10.00am-3.00pm
Rescue at Sea
This is an apt topic for the first Open Day of 2018, as the Archive's permanent home is in the Admiralty Boathouse, 23 The Strand, Newlyn, which was built for the Admiralty in 1900, as a Coastguard's Boathouse. In fact, it seems it was never used as a boathouse but became the home of the Rocket Wagon, which went to the rescue of the crews of boats in distress. At this Open Day we explore historic shipwrecks around West Cornwall, and particularly the involvement of the lifeboats which were stationed at Wherrytown, Penzance and Newlyn from 1865 until today.
Saturday 16 June 10.00am-3.00pm
Getting There and Back, transporting goods and people
This Open Day looks at the role of transport in enabling business to progress. How did the fish that was landed get to peoples' tables? How did the granite from the quarries at Newlyn and Lamorna reach the building sites and roads where it was used? How have our local forms of transport changed over the years? Who were the boats' captains, train and lorry drivers or men and women who pushed carts?
Saturday 13 October 10.00am-3.00pm
Families that were the backbone of our places
At this Open Day we look at the families that were behind the major developments in our local towns. In Newlyn the Legrice and Bolitho families were powerful land-owners and business people. Newlyn fishing boats often belonged to the same family for generations. Certain families provided sportsmen and women that have put Newlyn on that map.
We hope to draw on all three of our Archives on Newlyn, Lamorna and West Country Art to tell stories in these Open Days
The Lamorna Society 20th Anniversary AGM Weekend
Friday 29 September - Sunday 1 October
29 September: David Tovey's Devonshire house to view his collection of Cornish pictures, followed by get together at the Tolcarne Inn, Newlyn.
30 September: A virtual exhibition of members images of Lamorna, at Lamorna Village Hall, followed by the 20th Anniversary AGM. Visit to Penlee House Gallery and Museum to view the exhibition - John Armstrong:Dream and Reality. Then, 20th Anniversary Lamorna Society evening meal, Goldolphin Arms, Marazion.
1 October: Launch of The Lamorna Artists' Trail in Lamorna Booklet, and walk around Lamorna led by Robert Fishburn and Ron Hogg.
The Artists' Trail in Lamorna is a celebration of 20 years of the Lamorna Society, its members and their appreciation of the Lamorna Valley - its literature, its social and natural history and the many artists associated with it.
Available locally and online
The Lamorna Society Summer Weekend
Newlyn/Penzance/Lamorna 16-18 June
16 June: Reception at the Admiralty Boathouse, Newlyn, the new home of the Archive. Then meal at Italian Kitchen.
17 June: Archive Open Day, 'One Hundred Years Ago' . The Open Day focusses on events that happened one hundred years ago in 1917 and in the years of the Great War. It shows archive material about Newlyn and its people in 1917 and also tells the story of the artists from Newlyn and Lamorna (some too old to enlist) who played their part during the Great war and shows some of the pictures painted during the war.
Visit to Penlee House Gallery and Museum to view exhibition 'Stanhope forbes: Father of the Newlyn School'. Evening meal at the Smugglers Restaurant, Newlyn.
18 June: Talk by David Tovey - Warhorses, Ferrets, Moles and Other Mudlarks, by Crosbie Garstin. Afternoon walk in the Lamorna Valley.
The Lamorna Society Spring Weekend
Falmouth 5-7 May
A wonderful opportunity to celebrate the 20th year of Lamorna Society. The Society was created after the publication of A Painter Laureate Birch and his Circle, by Austin Wormleighton (1995), the exhibition at Falmouth Gallery of 88 paintings by Lamorna Birch in August (1997) and the guided Walk held at Lamorna by the artist Keith Gardiner, son of Stanley Gardiner (1997).
24-26 June 2016
The Lamorna Society Literary Weekend, Cornwall
13-16 May 2016
The Lamorna Society Liverpool and Birkenhead Weekend
2-4 October 2015
The Lamorna Society AGM in Cornwall
1. Archive Open Day, Trinity Centre - Children from Newlyn Primary School involved in art activity with Stephen Sedgeman,local artist
2. Lamorna Society members viewing Archive exhibition
3. Pam Lomax lecture- Where the Artists Lived in Lamorna and Newlyn
4. Evening meal at the Newlyn Italian Restaurant
5. Evening Meal at Lime Tree Restaurant,
Dr Roo Gunzi gave Saturday lecture-Stanhope Forbes, Painting Craft and
6. Jack Osborn gave After Dinner Speech -10 January 2016 Jack celebrated his
100th Birthday. Congratulations!
7. Sunday walk - discovering the artists' houses in Lamorna
8. Sunday walk - discovering the artists' houses in Newlyn
26-28 June 2015
The Lamorna Society Summer Weekend in Cornwall
The Lamorna Summer Weekend in Lamorna & Newlyn
1&2 Viewing the Archive at Wheal Betsy Annexe
3-6 Socialising in the Wheal Betsy Garden
7 Discovering the artists' houses in Newlyn
8-13 Painting Day at Trewoofe, Lamorna
14&15 Evening Meal at The Smugglers Restaurant, Newlyn
16-19 Discovering the artists' houses in Lamorna
20 Lunch at Borah Studio, Lamorna
The Lamorna Society Spring Weekend in Nottingham
1. Nottingham Castle
2. Willow sculpture of robin Hood in Nottingham Castle Gardens
3. Sarah Skinner, part-time curator showing us the stacks deep in the heart of Nottingham Castle
4. Viewing the early works of Laura Knight in the print room
5. 'Cornish Light The Nottingham 1894 Exhibition Revisited - 'Old Sea Dogs' painting by William Titcomb
6. Tour of exhibition by David Tovey
7. Wollaton Hall and Deer Park in the heart of the City of Nottingham
8. Prospect Room in Woolaton Hall with stunning architecture
9. High on the roof of Woolaton Hall with panoramic views of the expansive deer park, the City of Nottingham and beyond
Read the reports of The Lamorna Society Spring Weekend in Nottingham in The Flagstaff Issue No35 Summer 2015
The Lamorna Society AGM Weekend 2014
1. The Lamorna Society/Newlyn Archive Open Day
2. Evening meal at the Newlyn Italian Restaurant
3. AGM talk by Louise Connell, curator of Penlee House Gallery
4/5. Views of Lamorna Cove
6. Lunch at the Lamorna Cove Cafe
7. Dinner at the Lime tree Restaurant
8/9. Re-enactment of the Good Friday Walk to Lamorna
Read the reports of the Lamorna AGM Weekend 2014 in The Flagstaff Issue No 34 Winter 2014, p24-28.
The Lamorna Society Spring Weekend in Whitby and Staithes
1. The Whitby Museum and Pennant Art Gallery
2. The Staithes Gallery
3. Inside the Staithes Gallery with owner, Al Milnes
4. Plaque dedicated to Laura Knight
5. Whitby artist Michael Pottas and his wife, Jane
6. Tour of Trevelyan College Durham University by Muriel Woodward, Emily Spencer and Brian Whitton
Read the reports of the very enjoyable May Weekend in Whitby and Staithes in The Flagstaff Issue No 33 Summer 2014, p16-19.